Question:
Is it snowing anywhere near San Jose?
2009-01-01 23:30:36 UTC
I was looking for something at the most is an hour away.
My friends and I don't feel comfortable driving in Tahoe area.
I'm not asking for much snow just a little, just some that you can play around in.
Seven answers:
♥ Steff ♥
2009-01-02 18:34:30 UTC
I live 2 hours away from San Jose and it's snowing up near my house. I live in Yosemite.

=]
Light Knight
2009-01-02 19:44:57 UTC
The closest place to San Jose that regularly gets snow is Mt Hamilton.

Lick Observatory is on top of it. It is visible from many parts of the South Bay. Here is a link for a web-cam that will let you see what it is like up there. Note that it is dark at night. So daylight hours are best to look for snow. Although the city lights are kind of pretty.

The closest Ski resort is Dodge Ridge. It is near Pinecrest. While you should always use caution driving in snow country, the cliff face on the down hill of Hwy 50 going into Tahoe can scare the bejebees out of a lot of folks.
Vince M
2009-01-05 13:06:29 UTC
The nearest DEPENDABLE snow IS in the Sierra Nevada mountains, about three to four hours away.

Yes, Mt Hamilton has a light dusting but, in most of the spots where you and your friends might get access, there might not be enough to make a small dirty snowman. Mt. Hamilton is about forty five minutes from downtown, (maybe less in good weather) East Santa Clara street becomes Alum Rock avenue. Mt. Hamilton road is near the end of Alum Rock. Make a left and the summit is about 17 miles of winding road from that point.

The Santa Cruz mountains summit may also get a light dusting, but, unless there is a current storm running, it doesn't tend to stick to the ground very long. In fact, my wife and I just spent a VERY pleasant, sunny day at the beach on Sunday and there wasn't a hint of snow anywhere along Highway 17 out of San Jose.
?
2016-12-11 21:31:50 UTC
On uncommon occassions, Mt. Hamilton gets snow, yet they often close off get right of entry to simply by fact the line is risky adequate while sunny and sparkling. in case you recommend the place are you able to pass and play and ski interior the snow, the Sierras close to the Yosemite section or Lake Tahoe are your superb bets. the two are approximately 4 to 5 hours away staring on the tension.
So Bored That I'm On Y! Answ
2009-01-03 02:27:40 UTC
Mount Hamilton gets snow, but the roads may be very variable [i.e slope, condition, curves]...Yosemite is at least 4 hours without any traffic, but who am i kidding, its California, its going to take two hours to get out of the Bay Area alone, HA!
querubina
2009-01-04 21:47:41 UTC
as far as I know Mt. Hamilton is the only place near San Jose.
Gazelle
2009-01-04 11:37:25 UTC
It snows basically every year up in Bonny Doon (in the Santa Cruz Mountains).